Last Updated: November 2022
- Your Consent:
- Personal Information:
- To business partners, such as third party service providers, agents and affiliated entities in connection with the services that they perform for BMW Toronto.
- BMW Canada Inc., our related companies, including BMW Financial Services Canada.
- Law enforcement agencies for the purposes of investigating fraud or other offences.
- Legal, financial, and other professional advisors or in connection with the sale or reorganization of all or part of its business or operations
Except as provided above, our dealership will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your implied or express consent, you will be notified of, and asked to consent to, the sharing of your personal information necessary for the provision of these requested features or services.
- Information That BMW Toronto Collects:
- Information You Provide and User Options Regarding Personal Information
You may be asked to voluntarily give your personal information to BMW Toronto when you interact, orally, in writing or by electronic transmission, with BMW Toronto, including when you apply for an account or membership, subscribe to a newsletter, register to receive information, apply or register for or order a product or service offered by BMW Toronto or use a product or service provided by BMW Toronto. In those circumstances, you can choose not to provide certain requested personal information, but then you might not be able to proceed with your intended interaction or transaction with BMW Toronto or otherwise receive the full benefit of the desired product or service. Telephone calls between you and BMW Toronto will be recorded to ensure accuracy and quality assurance, and may be disclosed to third parties to verify BMW Toronto is compliant with its contractual obligations to third parties. You can choose not to have the telephone call recorded, and communicate by writing or electronic transmission.
- Automated Collection:
BMW Toronto may automatically collect certain information regarding your use of BMW Toronto’s website or online service, such as the dates and times that you access the website or online service, the browsers, operating systems, software and devices that you use to access the website or online service and details of your use of the website or online service.
BMW Toronto’s websites, online services, email messages and advertisements may use technologies (e.g. cookies, web beacons, tokens, pixels or tags) to collect information that assists BMW Toronto to improve its products, services, customer communications and advertising and to prevent fraud. BMW Toronto may use information that it collects through technological means to recognize you as a user of BMW Toronto’s websites or online services, to facilitate and improve your use of BMW Toronto’s websites or online services, to confirm that messages have been delivered to and opened by you and to provide you with targeted advertisements. You may choose to decline or disable cookies if your web browser or device permits, but doing so may affect your ability to access or use certain features of a website or online service. More information about cookies used for interest-based advertising is set out in section 4(c) below.
- Credit Reports:
- Information Regarding Referred Transactions
- How BMW Toronto Uses Personal Information:
- to administer your relationship with BMW Toronto, including to create and manage your account or membership with BMW Toronto and to contact and correspond with you regarding those matters;
- to facilitate your interactions and transactions with BMW Toronto, including to process your applications, requests, orders and payments;
- to provide products and services to you;
- to process and respond to your inquiries, requests and other communications;
- to provide you with information (including by email and other electronic messages) regarding BMW Toronto and its products and services and related products and services offered by other businesses, to the extent permitted by applicable law;
- to administer and facilitate your participation in contests and promotions related to BMW Toronto;
- to maintain, protect and improve BMW Toronto’s products and services and to develop new products and services;
Delivery of Products and Services
- Processing applications for credit in respect of a lease or financing agreement.
- Registering you for and administering warranties, extended warranties and roadside assistance.
- Notifying you of service reminders, recalls and enhancements.
- Processing sales of accessories and merchandise.
- Administering billing for leasing or financing of vehicles or other products and services; and providing you with customer support services.
- Promoting our vehicles, products and services.
- Administering promotional contests.
- Responding to requests for product and service information.
- Providing you with newsletters and other promotional news about upcoming events or special offers.
- Administering customer satisfaction surveys.
- Assessing the effectiveness of our marketing programs.
- Improving our products and services.
- Developing a better understanding of your relationship with our retailers.
Protecting Our Business and Fulfilling Our Legal Obligations
- Collecting overdue payments from you and other debt collection matters.
- Repossessing our vehicles if you are in default.
- Securing our business and websites.
- Investigating and protecting against fraud, grey-marketing or other illegal activities.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements, such as reporting obligations to the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada, complying with court orders, and responding to lawful police requests.
Our Anti-Spam Policy tolerates only permission-based email, subscription to emails or information requested to be provided through email or phone. We obtain your consent by asking you to choose to opt-out of our mailing list or opt-in. By checking the opt-in box when contacting us, through the forms available, you agree to be contacted by us for the purposes described in the Disclaimer. All emails sent to you will be compliant with CASL and include:
- The option to opt-in to receive communication for the purposes described in the Disclaimer
- The option to unsubscribe from receiving electronic communication from us as described here
- How BMW Toronto Discloses Personal Information:
We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may share some or all of your personal information with third parties such as BMW Canada and related companies, the providers of products or services relating to your vehicle, credit reporting agencies, financial institutions or financing companies, your insurance agent or company and companies which provide or insure warranties relating to your vehicle. We may also disclose your personal information where we are required or permitted by law to do so. We collect personal information from you when you provide the information directly to us, such as when you contact us or when you enter your personal information on our website.
Like other companies, we share information with our affiliated companies, third-party service providers, BMW Canada, and certain business partners in order to conduct our business activities and to protect our rights.
- Specific Consents
BMW Toronto may disclose your personal information in accordance with express or implied consents that you give during your interactions and transactions with BMW Toronto.
- Referred Transactions
- Suppliers and Service Providers
- Law Enforcement/Legal Disclosures
(f) Business Transactions
- Location of Personal Information:
BMW Toronto and its service providers may process, store and use your personal information at facilities in various countries, including Canada, the United States of America and one or more countries in Europe or Asia. The personal information protection laws of those other countries might be different from the laws of the jurisdiction in which you reside, and might permit courts, government, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies and security authorities to access your personal information without notice. By providing your personal information to BMW Toronto, you consent to the transfer of the personal information to facilities located in other countries and the processing and storage of the personal information at those facilities.
- Retention of Personal Information:
- Information Technology and Safeguards of Personal Information:
- Accuracy and Access to Personal Information:
BMW Toronto will rely on you to ensure that your personal information that you provide to BMW Toronto is as accurate, complete and up to date as necessary for the purposes for which BMW Toronto uses the personal information. You will promptly notify BMW Toronto of any changes to your personal information using the procedures made available for that purpose by BMW Toronto or by contacting BMW Toronto customer service.
You may reasonably request access to your personal information collected by BMW Toronto and information about BMW Toronto’s use, disclosure and retention of that personal information by submitting a written request to BMW Toronto’s Chief Privacy Officer using the contact information noted below. Subject to applicable exceptions and limitations prescribed by applicable law, you will be given reasonable access to your personal information and you will be entitled to verify the accuracy and completeness of your personal information and to have the information revised as appropriate. You may be required to pay a reasonable fee for access to your personal information. BMW Toronto may decline to process a request that is unreasonably repetitive, frivolous, vexatious or impracticable, that infringes or jeopardizes the privacy of other persons, or for other reasons permitted by applicable law.
- Non-Personal Information:
- Other Websites and Businesses:
- Other Matters:
- Disclaimers, Liability Exclusions/Limitations and Disputes:
- Changes to this Policy:
- English Language:
- Contacting BMW Toronto’s Chief Privacy Officer: